Udaipur is the jewel of Mewar kingdom ruled by the Sisodia dynasty for 1200 Years. The foundation of the city has an interesting legend associated with it. According to it, Maharana Udai Singh, the founder, was hunting one day when he met a holy man meditation on a hill overlooking the Lake Pichhola. The hermit blessed the Maharana and advised him to build a palace at this favorable located spot with a fertile valley watered by the stream, a lake, an agreeable altitude and an amphitheater of low mountains. Maharana followed the advice of the hermit and founded the city in 1559 A.D.
- UDAIPUR CITY PALACE
- A majestic architectural marvel towering over the lake on a hill surrounded by crenellated walls, it is a conglomeration of courtyards, pavilions, terraces, corridors, rooms and hanging gardens. The main entrance is through the triple arched gate, the 'Tripolia' with eight marble porticos. The Maharana were weighed under the gate in the gold, the equivalent amount of which was distributed among the populace.
- SHREE JAGDISH TEMPLE
- Jagmandir is a palace built on an island on the Lake Pichola. Also called the ‘Lake Garden Palace’, the construction for this began in 1620 and was completed around 1652. The royal family used the palace as its summer resort and for hosting parties. The Palace had such an impact on Emperor Shah Jahan that it went on to become the inspiration for one of the most magnificent Wonders of the World, The Taj Mahal.
- VINTAGE CAR COLLECTION
- The collection within the grounds of the Garden Hotel comprises a variety of vintage and classic vehicles like Cadillac, Chevrolet, Morris etc owned by the Maharanas of Udaipur. They used these automobiles as their luxurious modes of transport.
- MAHARANA PRATAP SMARAK
- Maharana Pratap Smarak is a fine historical site which is dedicated to the best hero of Rajasthan Maharana Pratap. The site is located on the Moti Margi or Pearl Hill, and this beautiful sight oversees the Fateh Sagar Lake and depicting the best pose of Maharana riding on his favorite ride ‘Chetak’.
- FATEH SAGAR LAKE
- A beautiful lake,overlooked by a number of hills on the three sides and the Pratap Memorial on the north was built by Maharana Fateh Singh. In the middle of the lake is Nehru Park-a lovely garden island with a boat shaped café accessible by an enjoyable boat ride.
- PICHHOLA LAKE
- The picturesque lake that entranced Maharaja Udai Singh. It was later enlarged by the founder. The lake is surrounded by hills, palaces, temples, bathing ghats and embankments. Two island palaces, Jag Mandir and Jag Niwas(Lake Palace) on the lake are of breathtaking.
- BHARTIYA LOK KALA MANDIR
- The interesting collection exhibited by this Indian folk arts museum includes folk dresses, ornaments, puppets, masks, dolls, folk musical instruments, folk deities and paintings.
- SAHELIYON-KI-BARI (GARDEN OF THE MAIDS OF HONOUR)
- This small ornamental garden was a popular relaxing spot where royal ladies came for a stroll and hence the name. The garden has many fountains in its four delightful pools, chiseled kiosks and marble elephants.